Senior Research Technician (seniorforskingsteknikar, code 1513)
A permanent full-time position as Senior Research Technician is available in the Chatzigeorgiou Group animal facility at the Sars Centre. The position has a desired start date of March 2018 and the technician will work in the planktonic Ciona intestinalis culture facility (Ascidian) at the Sars Centre.
The main responsibilities will be to build and run one Artificial Sea Water based system and to upgrade with sensor networks the two Natural Sea Water systems for the rearing of wild type and transgenic Ciona intestinalis animals. Further responsibilities include the daily running of the facility and organising and performing animal collection field trips from the Bergen area to populate the natural sea water systems on regular basis (approximately every two weeks). Tasks include programming, electronics building, feeding and breeding of the animals, maintenance and culture of algae feed stocks, building and maintenance of equipment, periodic field work, as well as aiding the scientific staff in project-related collection and manipulation of animals. Some week-end and holiday duties are required and will be compensated for according to UiB regulations. The working languages are English and Norwegian.
- Prior experience with maintaining animal facilities, algae and/or zooplankton cultures, is desirable
- Reliable work habits, cleanliness and the ability to interact productively with scientific personnel are essential requirements
- General interest in aquatic life and animal care is desirable
- Ability to perform construction and electronics work related to small engineering projects is required
- Knowledge and practical experience on how to build electrical circuits using Arduino and RasberryPi as well as other COTS based parts is required
- Relevant education from high school or specialized education related to the tasks of the position together with relevant work experience. Long and relevant work experience can compensate for missing formal education
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English
- A challenging position with interesting tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Senior Research Technician ("seniorforskningsteknikar", code 1513) from grade level 35 to 45 (currently NOK 352.900-404.000), based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications. A higher salary can be considered for exceptionally qualified applicants.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Application in English or Norwegian:
Application must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for the position and why you feel you are a good candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Application deadline: 29 December 2017
For further information about the position please contact Group Leader Dr. Marios Chatzigeorgiou, tel +47 55 58 43 58, email email@example.com.
UiB is an organization that particularly must be adaptive to changing conditions and requirements. Consequently the person employed must be prepared to see tasks changed.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that at any given time apply to the position.