Substitute Department Engineer (Avdelingsingeniør, code 1085)
The Sars Centre is recruiting for a full-time temporary position as Department Engineer (code 1085) in the Chatzigeorgiou research group at the Sars Centre. The duration of the position is one year and the prefered start date is as soon as possible. The group investigates the evolution and function of the nervous system, and the primary focus of the group is to study the neural circuits and molecules that control mechanosensory and chemosensory sensory modalities in Ciona intestinalis. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen and is partner of The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
The person holding this position will be trained by and work in close association with the group leader and the group members. Major tasks will include performing recordings of behaving animals, quantitative analysis of behaviour, helping build microscopes and perform functional imaging using Genetically Encoded Indicators.
- The successful applicant should have at least a Bachelor degree in a biology related discipline that includes training in neurobiology or equivalent qualifications based on education and professional experience
- Experience in computer programming is essential. Specifically, we are looking for experience in Python and MATLAB
- Prior experience using OpenCV Computer Vision library and JAABA to analyse behaviour of animals is highly desirable
- Experience in working with marine organisms and more specifically with Ciona intestinalis is highly advantageous
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English
- Profound background in molecular, cellular and developmental biological techniques is desirable
- A challenging position with interesting tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Department Engineer ("avdelingsingeniør", code 1085) from grade level 43-52, salary frame 22, based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Application in English:
Send your electronic application via the link “Apply for this job” - on this page
Application must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for applying to this position and why you feel you are a successful candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Application deadline: August 04, 2017
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Group Leader Dr. Marios Chatzigeorgiou, tel +47 55 58 43 58, email email@example.com.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
UiB is an organization that particularly must be adaptive to changing conditions and requirements. Consequently the person employed must be prepared to see tasks changed.
The State sector staff shall to the extent possible reflect the diversity in the population at large. The state personnel policies aim at a balanced age and gender composition, and to recruit people with immigrant background or reduced work capacity. People with immigrant backgrounds are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that at any given time apply to the position.