Substitute Research Technician at the Sars Centre (Forskingsteknikar, code 1512)
A full time, substitute position as Research Technician (code 1512) is available in the Hejnol research group at the Sars Centre May to September 2018. There is a possibility for an extension beyond the initial period of employment should the dates change for the planned leave of the person currently holding the position. Work in this group "Comparative Developmental Biology of Animals" focuses on studies of developmental biology of different marine and fresh water invertebrate animals using morphological and molecular tools. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen and is partner with the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL). The place of work will be at the Sars Centre.
The main responsibilities of the position are related to assisting in the daily running of the facility (feeding and breeding animals). Tasks include culturing of algae, brine shrimp, copepods and rotifers for feeding animals, operation and maintenance of salt water supply system, periodic field animal collection, and assisting the scientific staff in manipulating animals and embryos (e.g. fixation, microinjections). Some week-end duties will be requested, compensated for according to UiB regulations.
- Prior experience in maintaining animal facilities, and in algae, marine and/or zooplankton culture is highly desirable
- Reliable work habits, cleanliness, and ability to interact productively in close collaboration with scientific personnel are essential requirements
- Independency and initiative is expected
- The minimum formal requirement is high school education or special education relevant for the tasks of this position. Extensive and relevant practice combined with relevant formal training may compensate for insufficient formal training
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English
- A challenging position with varied work tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Research Technician ("forskningsteknikar", code 1512) from grade level 35, based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications. This is currently equal to NOK 352.900
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Application in English:
Please send your electronic application via this link -"Apply for this job"Application must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for applying to this position and why you feel you are a successful candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by email will not be considered.
Application deadline: 15. February 2018
For further information about the position please contact Group Leader Dr. Andreas Hejnol, tel. +47 55 58 43 28, email email@example.com.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
More information about the appointment process here.